Anyone who has had to leave their home to do laundry understands how convenient it is having a washer and dryer in your house. It’s so convenient that many of us can’t believe we survived so long doing laundry outside our home and can’t imagine (and don’t want to imagine) ever returning to that way of life.
Unfortunately, washing machines can experience mechanical problems from time to time. When they do, it can force homeowners to use washers outside their homes until they can get their washing machine up and running again. In some instances, that may involve getting their washer repaired, and in other cases, it can require replacing their washing machine.
How Can I Tell It’s Time to Repair or Replace My Washer?
In an ideal world, our washing machines would last forever and would never need to be repaired. As we’re all aware, that’s not the world we live in, and there will be times when our washers need to be repaired and even replaced. However, how can we tell when that is? Sometimes, it’s obvious. Many times, it’s not.
Here are six signs that it’s time to repair or replace your washing machine:
- Leaky Washer Tub – In some cases, if a washing machine is leaking, it could be because it’s tub is cracked. A cracked tub is a very expensive repair, and depending on how old the washer is, it might be more cost-effective to buy a new washing machine.
- Older Washing Machine – As washers age, they are more prone to break down. Generally, once a washing machine is over 10 years old, its best days are behind it, and it will degrade quickly to the point where it will need to be replaced. If your washer is more than a decade old and giving you trouble, even if repairing it is an option, it may be best to replace it.
- Bad Odor – Over time, some washing machines may develop a bad odor that doesn’t ever go away. This is especially true for some brands of front-loading washers. The smell can often be the result of mold and mildew camping out in the machine. If that’s the case, it may be impossible to get rid of the smell, and the best option could be to replace the washer.
- Control Panel Issues – Depending on the age of the washer, this can be a repairable issue. Replacing the control panel on an older washing machine may be more cost-effective than replacing the entire washer. Newer machines tend to have more complex controls, which still should be able to be repaired, but it may be more costly than it would be for an older washer.
- Excessive Shakiness and Noisiness – A washer that is loud or vibrates excessively may just not be level on the floor. Solving the problem may be as simple as placing something under one of the washer’s feet to keep it from wobbling. If the washing machine is level and the issue persists, there could be a mechanical problem with the washer, such as an issue with the motor or drum. If it’s a newer machine, you may just want to have the problem repaired and hope the washing machine doesn’t continue to have issues. However, if it’s an older washer, it may not be worth it to repair the problem, because another issue is probably just around the corner.
- Uses Too Much Water – Modern washing machines, especially those with the Energy Star logo, are designed to run efficiently and save water. If you find that your newer washer is running less efficiently and using too much water, it may be a good idea to see if you can simply have the issue repaired. Older washing machines may not be designed to save water, and as they get older, they run less efficiently. If your older washer is running inefficiently and wasting water, it might be best to get it replaced, because in the long term you will probably save money.
Is Your Washing Machine Giving You Trouble? Our Experienced Appliance Repair Experts Can Help!
Carter Services has been helping homeowners and businesses with their appliance repair needs in Torrance and surrounding areas since 1974. Our licensed & insured appliance repair experts have successfully repaired and replaced a wide variety of appliances, including washers. We are trained to handle a wide range of washing machine repair issues and we work on several different brands of washers.
To learn more about Carter Services, check out the reviews left by our many satisfied customers.
Need help with your washer? Give us a call at (310) 872-1898 or contact us online today to speak with our experienced washing machine repair technicians about your situation. When you call, ask about our coupons!