For many homeowners, their dishwasher has become a necessity. Having a dishwasher ensures dirty dishes don’t pile up in the sink and clean dishes are always available. Plus, since homeowners and their families don’t have to spend time handwashing dishes, they have more time to tackle other items on their to do list or just relax after a hard day at work or school.
For the reasons outlined above, as well as how costly it can be, the last thing any homeowner wants to have happens is for their dishwasher to breakdown. Unfortunately, years and years of wear and tear can eventually result in any dishwasher breaking down. However, if properly maintained, a dishwasher should last around a decade, according to Consumer Reports.
In this blog post, we will discuss ways you can keep your dishwasher running smoothly for a decade or more.
6 Ways You Can Help Prevent Your Dishwasher from Breaking Down
Many issues can arise if homeowners misuse their dishwashers. Here are six ways that homeowners can avoid misusing their dishwashers and prevent them from breaking down:
- Don’t use too much detergent – High-efficiency dishwashers may be designed for maximum water savings, but they don’t abide too much detergent. In fact, when overloaded with ultra concentrated soap doses, your dishes won’t get nearly as clean due to the residue built up inside filters that cannot sufficiently rinse away excess suds. Avoid this by being mindful of how much you use and keeping a close eye on those sparkling results.
- Scrape food off dishes – Every dishwasher needs some prep work before being loaded up. Scrape off any leftover food and then run the dishes through a cycle for sparkly-clean results. Failing to scrape food off dishes before loading them in the dishwasher can lead to excess food damaging the filter and pump, and wreaking havoc on the drain hose.
- Don’t overload your dishwasher – To ensure the longevity of your dishwasher and achieve optimal performance, keep loads to a reasonable size. Overloading your dishwasher can impact the water pressure and make it harder to get dishes clean, meaning you'll have to run a second cycle, which ultimately reduces your machine's lifespan. Overloading can also result in overheating – even with protective mechanisms in place. By following instructions from your manual for proper loading guidelines, you can enjoy clean dishes every time without risking damage or breakdowns caused by overstuffed racks.
- Clean your dishwasher’s filter – Your dishwasher’s filter captures food particles during the wash cycle. If it’s not cleaned regularly, it can lose efficiency and even become damaged. Some dishwashers have self-cleaning filters. You can check the manual to determine if your dishwasher has a self-cleaning or manual filter. If your dishwasher does not have a self-cleaning filter, it is recommended that you clean it once a month to avoid any issues with efficiency or breakdowns.
- Don’t run small loads of dishes – To get the most out of your dishwasher and keep it running in top form, make sure that you are filling it properly every time. If a full cycle isn't possible - such as with smaller loads – be mindful that due to water pressure, some items, like small plastic dishes, can become dislodged from your dishwasher’s racks. This can potentially lead to those items landing on your dishwasher’s heating elements, melting, and causing irreversible damage to your dishwashing unit.
- Clean your dishwasher’s interior – Neglecting to clean the interior of your dishwasher every once in a while can lead to substantial buildup of food waste, grease, hard water scaling, and soap scum residue. Homeowners should clean their dishwashers at least once per month to prevent decreased efficiency and avoid breakdowns.
Need Help with Dishwasher Installation, Maintenance, or Repair? Contact Our Experienced Dishwasher Technicians in Torrance Today
Carter Services has been helping homeowners in the Torrance area keep their dishwashers running properly for over four decades. Our highly-trained technicians provide quality service, maintaining and repairing any type of dishwasher with ease.
To discover why Carter Services is one of the premiere dishwasher installation, maintenance, and repair services in Torrance and its surrounding communities, read our customers’ reviews.
For more information about dishwasher maintenance and repair services, or to discuss your situation with our experienced dishwasher technicians in Torrance, call us at (310) 872-1898 or reach out to us online today.