Fall is here, and as the seasons change, it’s time to curl up for some football, get ready to rake the leaves in your yard, and prepare your heating system for the months ahead. Hopefully, you’ve already done everything you can to ensure your air conditioning system remains well-maintained, even after summer is over. However, just because you’re going to be using your AC unit less does not necessarily mean your energy bills are going to go down. Heating costs can quickly add up, especially if your system is not prepared to face the temperatures ahead. Keep reading to learn the top five ways to lower your heating bills this fall, and remember to call our expert HVAC technicians at Carter Services for all your heating repair and installation needs.
5 Ways to Lower Your Heating Costs Going Into Fall & Winter:
- Consider Upgrading Your Thermostat: If you do not already have one, you should really consider upgrading to a programmable thermostat in your home. These smart, energy-efficient devices make it much easier to adjust your temperature preferences once the seasons change, and can even learn your habits, so you stay comfortable through fall, winter, and beyond.
- Keep Fireplace Use to a Minimum: Although the purpose of a fireplace is ostensibly to generate warmth, it can actually make your heating system less effective. That’s because if you use your fireplace and your heater at the same time, some heat will inevitably be released through the chimney, forcing your system to compensate for the loss of airflow throughout your home. This is not to say you should stop using your fireplace altogether, but try to only save it for special occasions, or times when you can turn your heating system off for a bit and get by with the use of the fireplace alone. And speaking of letting air out…
- Seal Openings Around Your House: This is a pretty good rule when it comes to energy efficiency year-round. By locking doors and windows, weatherstripping cracks and openings, and sealing gaps wherever possible, you will help lock in temperatures, thus keeping your heating costs stable and your home comfortable and free of cold spots.
- Reduce Hot Showers: Don’t get us wrong—our pros at Carter Services love a hot shower as much as the next person. But if you can reduce either the number of showers you take, the amount of time you spend in the shower, or the temperature of the water itself, you can potentially save a lot of money during winter and fall. Your heating system will already be operating at higher frequency during months, so by cutting down on your hot showers, you can take some of the pressure off your water heater, potentially lowering your overall energy bills in the process.
- Call for Professional Maintenance: If you really want to make sure your heating system is ready to operate at peak efficiency during the coming months, the best thing to do would be to call our experts at Carter Services. We offer reliable heating maintenance to help your equipment work better, last longer, and cost less. Our licensed and insured heating technicians are authorized service providers for 21 major brands, and with one of the largest fleets of service vehicles in the area, we’ll always arrive at your property as soon as possible. Call to schedule heating maintenance today, and don’t forget to ask about our Carter Services Care Plan!