Did you know that the average American uses roughly 100 gallons of water each and every day? In honor of Earth Day 2017, we’ve put together this list of simple ways to reduce your water usage and lessen your impact on the environment. If you’re ready to start making changes, keep reading!
EASY WAYS TO REDUCE WATER CONSUMPTION IN YOUR HOME
If you think that using less water requires making huge sacrifices, think again. Making small changes adds up in a big way, and seemingly insignificant home upgrades and lifestyle modifications can have a huge impact.
USE LESS WATER IN THE BATHROOM
- Don’t leave the faucet running while you’re brushing your teeth. For every minute that it’s turned off, you’ll conserve 4 – 5 gallons.
- Keep your showers to five minutes or less. Skipping the long showers conserves 1,000+ gallons per month.
- Reduce the amount of water you use in the shower by up to 70% by installing low-flow shower heads.
- Turn the water off while you’re lathering your hair and soaping up. Turn it back on when you’re ready to rinse off.
- Add a few drops of food coloring to the toilet tank to check for leaks. If there is color in the bowl within 30 minutes (without flushing), you have a leak. Have it repaired as soon as
- Replace your old toilet with a low-flow model.
WATER CONSERVATION IN THE KITCHEN
- If you have a dishwasher, use it – especially if you have a newer Energy Star model. Modern dishwashers use less water than handwashing.
- Only run full loads of dishes.
- When washing dishes by hand, only turn the faucet on when you need to rinse.
- Don’t grab a new glass every time you need a drink. Use the same one throughout the day.
- When cooking foods like pasta, only use as much water as you actually need.
At Carter Services, we’re here to help with all of your plumbing needs. Whether you have a leak that needs to be repaired, you’re thinking about upgrading to fixtures that use less water or you’re in need of just about any other type of plumbing repair or installation, we do it all! For dependable plumbing service in Torrance and throughout southern California, contact the experts right here at Carter Services today. Call (310) 872-1898.