The local plumbers at Carter Services know that the days following Thanksgiving will be filled with calls from customers in need of garbage disposal repair. Garbage disposals that are accustomed to processing small amounts of food are suddenly confronted with the plate scrapings of a large feast. The good news is that your garbage disposal can handle all that extra grinding without becoming clogged if you just treat it with a little bit of loving care!
Southern California Clogged Garbage Disposal Prevention Tips
- Use your garbage disposal throughout the year. If you wait until the day of the big feast, your garbage disposal’s parts may be rusted or ceased up!
- Don’t put garbage disposal-unfriendly foods down the drain. This includes pasta, rice, bones, grease, oil, fat, corn husks, celery, onion skins, potato peels, and pumpkin innards. A tiny bit of these foods most likely won’t cause you to need a garbage disposal repair, but too much could clog drains, jam the garbage disposal motor, or leave the blades ineffective.
- Don’t use your garbage disposal for non-food waste that should go into the trashcan. This includes metal, plastic, glass, and paper materials.
- Start running warm water down the drain first, then run your garbage disposal, then turn the disposer off, and then shut off the water once grinding is complete.
- As you prepare foods or scrape and wash dishes, run your garbage disposal from time to time, so that it doesn’t fill up.
We hope these tips will help you to avoid the need for plumbing service this holiday season, but should you end up needing any plumbing repair or plumbing installation in the Southern California or Torrance area, the plumbing contractors at Carter Services are just a call away.
Carter Services proudly offers plumbing service, heating service, air conditioning service and electrical service to the following cities: El Segundo, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, Palos Verdes Peninsula, Rancho Palos Verdes, Redondo Beach, Torrance, and Westchester.